jumping in a new bowl

This happened two years ago when I was finishing my fourth year of studies after high school graduation - my first year of a two-year Masters in Business Management. I was looking for a company where I’d be able to finish my final year in what we call work-study. While doing my research, I found a company that offered me a full-time position, and not a work-study position as I'd been looking for. The job offer was very attractive: a commercial assistant position, in charge of recruitment in a temporary work agency. It was a one-year contract. This offer may not seem so attractive, but it was exactly the position I wanted at that time - and I remember that I hesitated. But I thought that one-year off would be fine, for my studies but mostly for my savings. 


The other reason I hesitated was to do with my family and friends. They told me that was a stupid idea to stop my studies so close to the end. Actually, I agreed with them but on the other hand, earn a living was very tempting. Now, it seems to me to be a small thing, but I remember that at the time it was a big deal. It isn’t easy, in your twenty-somethings, to find what you want to do for living or in life. I was at this point. In fact, my studies weren’t holding my interest and I was wondering if I ought to continue in Business Management or go into Human Resources. And this job was a good opportunity to get to know better what Humans Resources was.


In the end, one thing that helped me to make my decision was my desire to travel. This had always been my plan after my five years of study came to an end, but I didn't have enough savings to do it. This desire for travel was the “why” I needed to decide to take the plunge. So I put the Masters aside and took the offer from the company. It was my first “real” job, after many internships, and I was finally earning some money.


Today, I don’t regret my decision because, first, I’m in New Zealand right now thanks to being able to save some money from that job. Secondly, I now have a better idea of what job I want to do when I go back to France. And thirdly, I got a lot of great professional experience from this opportunity.

Today, as I'm writing these words, I am in New Zealand and I'm jumping in a new bowl again. 


See you around, 

Anael 

Did you jump in a new bowl too? Tell me more about it in the comments section below.



Candy sky, Auckland, New Zealand, April 2020


Panmure Basin, Auckland, New Zealand, avril 2020



Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés